Sunday, April 19, 2009

I lasted a week

So, I tried the $2 a day thing, and it was going well, it's definitely doable. I kept tabs of how much was spent per day according to how much I ate as well as how many calories I took in. In eight days I spent a total of $9.62 with an average of $1.20. As for calories I averaged 1,627 per day. I baked bread and realized that it's more calorie dense than I was estimating. I made soup as well because it was easy to make a lot at once for cheap. I don't think I got enough fruit and vegetables and even though I at 1600 calories a day, I think I may have gained weight someone because of all the carbohydrates. This is only speculations though because I didn't weight my self before or after.
It was a learning experience. I became really stressed out during this experiment as well as depressed for I missed out on socialization in the cafe. I was really worried about saving everything. I learned about what others deal with when they are forced to live this way. I want to live more frugally in the future too. I think when I go to Yap I want to continue making bread rather than buying it because it's so cheap that way and tastes better. I learned so much about cooking for oneself and I think I'll be able to use this experience when I live in my own apartment while teaching.
I feel that I have a better appreciation for things like food, and friends, and such. It was aa good thing in the end. Now I have a bunch of extra things like pasta, flour and sweet potatoes that are just sitting in my room. Anyways, enough about that. Below are pictures of what I cooked:
The bread, lentil soup, pita, and oatmeal was really good. The oatmeal was called carrot cake oatmeal. I tried it because I was sick of just plain oatmeal every day. The navy been soup, was good but kind of gross after a while. The granola was too crunchy and too salty, The black bean sweet potato balls were weird. I didn't have enough supplies to make them good. I wanted to make fried rice but never got a round to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment