Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Eating off $1 dollar a day??

So, I only have 50 dollars left on my cafe account and I have about 30 days left of school. I'm thinking that instead of adding money to my account, I'll just go to the grocery store and buy food for the month. I'm thinking I'll try to limit it to 60 dollars instead of 30 because I want to eat more than a cup of oatmeal for breakfast, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch and rice and bean and two potatoes for supper. I'd also like to have some fruit and veggies there. The cafe is so expensive. One serving of vegetables is 65 cents. That isn't bad but it's only 3/4ths a cup! I tried getting two servings next to each other and sometimes they count it as one at the register but they usually know to count it as two.

So anyways, here is the link to the people who did the 1 dollar for 30 days:

http://onedollardietproject.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/it-starts-today/

I've sort of been living off the food I had left in my room for the past 2 and a half weeks and it really helped that a friends grandma I know wanted me to take food from her pantry when she went on vacation. So I'm almost out now now and have become pretty creative in making it not so boring. Today for example: I had a box of couscous, a bag of lentils from when I tried making fresh sprouts, and some leftover canned tomato sauce. My roommate had half an onion, some garlic and a bottle of some sort of salt spice. I used these ingredients to make supper tonight. The lentils, garlic, onion, sauce and spices went pretty good together once it thickened so it wasn't so soupy. I put this on the coucous. I had small hope for it but am excited about the results. I did all the cooking in the microwave. Tomorrow I'll probably finish it off and then go shopping. I think I'll do fine. I think maybe I'll pick up a bottle of multi-vitamins though just to be safe. haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment