Sunday, February 21, 2010

Trip to the Emergency Room



This weekend I was on duty by myself. The head dean was gone. Last night I was woken up at 2:30. One student had a stabbing pain in her abdomen and she couldn't even get out of bed without help. I took her to the emergency room. The pain began subsiding after we had been there a while. They diagnosed her with 'abdominal pain' after some tests were taken and sent her home with an 'abdominal cocktail' for pain if it came back. The name reminded me of the diner lingo you hear in movies. I wonder if hospitals ever do that. Like, instead of 'I need a blue-plate special with a french man's delight!' or 'I need a bowwow minus the breath and a pair of drawers to go for a walk!' the doctor might say to the tech, 'I got a hemo on the bucket, get me a mountain dew and an abdominal cockail! It kind of made me laugh to think about it. :)

I hope it's not something more serious and that it doesn't happen again. I was pretty worried because the pain was described as a 10, then a 6, then a 3 and then a 1. A friend of hers came with me and it was kind of fun near the end of it all to chat with them a little bit. One of them is hoping to be a nurse and the other is thinking about physical therapy. I remember trying to make those sorts of decisions. It's really interesting to hear about what they're thinking about. I'm thankful that it's a Sunday and I could sleep in after that. Let's keep the seniors in our prayers as they're making important decisions about starting their adult lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment