Saturday, October 10, 2009

Random thoughts to make up for lack of blogging

So, ever since this three week break started, the epitome of lazy has somehow overcome me. It’s been hard to find motivation to do anything. I’m so ready for school to start again. I miss the routine so much. I’m looking forward to it. I’m going to start lesson planning again on Monday.

I’ve started noticing how beautiful it really is here. Is that weird? I’ve been here for more than two months and now it hits me. I realized it before but now it’s different… better.

I’m sorry I’ve neglected the blog for a while but there hasn’t been too much to say. Nothing profound has happened. Right before the break I assigned a project in biology for the sophomores to make cell models. One group made a model out of jello.

I started making bookmarks for my students. I’ve got 12 finished out of 66. I hope I have them done in time for Christmas break. We’ll see how that goes. We went snorkeling again and I got some more great pictures.

I found a gecko egg and hatched it and then let it go. Olivia named it Soren. He was really cute. Today a lizard egg fell from the hut ceiling right between Kristen and I. It broke open. I picked at it with a stick and the lizard was still alive. It was so cool to see though the others thought it was pretty disgusting.

I saw a flyer for a free spay and neuter clinic at the agriculture department last week. I brought our cat in to get spayed and watched for a while. Apparently this was the first time the island had something like this. The vet used to have a clinic in Guam for 17 years and now travels around the world doing things like this.

We’ve been cleaning up some overgrown parts of campus and it’s looking really nice now. I found some passion fruit and it smells just like those Fruitopia bottles. It’s so tart though.

I woke up one day to find that a giant spider decided to molt his skin right on top of my toothpaste bottle… gross.

We’re really missing fall right now. We decorated our living room wall with a fall panorama of sorts. It makes it so homey.

My thoughts are pretty broken but I’m just trying to sum up what’s happened in the last two weeks. I felt a sore throat coming on two days ago but it’s gone now. Just for future reference, gargling scouring hot salt water works.

It’s so true that God will do everything He can to lead a person to him but even so, some will still chose themselves over Him. It seems to come down to whether a person prefers to honor self or realize that they are imperfect and need help. It’s sad but no one can say God didn’t give them the chance. It baffles me, but it still happens. This thought probably sounds totally unrelated but that’s all I’ll say. We have salvation when we have faith and believe. Christ healed the centurion’s daughter the moment he believed. That’s all it takes. God does not say, “If you see proof first that I can save you, then I’ll save you” He says, “who ever believes will have ever lasting life.” It’s that simple, even still many will decide that they can’t believe for whatever reason whether it be fear or selfishness or not enough evidence or what. God can’t force them because he truly loves them. I don’t know very much about other religions but I know that Christianity is the only one that says all you have to do is believe. No list of do’s and don’ts and such. A religion like that may seem like it could work but it’s impossible to follow. Christianity is just a call to admit that we need help and then to accept the help that is offered. Trying to make sure you’ve thought of every possibility of anything else with our faulty reasoning skills will only wind you up with a tangle mess of confusion and an almost guaranteed something that you’ve left out.

Anyway, I realized in the last two weeks that I need to drink more water. Seriously though, or I’m going to affect my health. I have to force myself to get at least a certain amount each day. I usually end up forgetting to drink but I have to change this.

Today we hiked the Tamilyog trail and I made vegetarian sushi with quinoa instead of rice. One more week of break, then back to school.

2 comments:

  1. What is photo #2 of? It looks like a jello
    mold with two thimbles as eyes, some string or
    ribbon, and two cigargettes as the mouth of a
    smiley face.
    Joyce K. Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a cell model made by Ronald and Jake. It's a cell.

    ReplyDelete