Friday, October 16, 2009

Reason to praise, getting ready to start again


Kristen the first grade teacher had lost the only key for her classroom. On one day before our break started she left her class room for just a moment to get something from the office. Her students were somewhere on the playground. When she came back both doors were closed and locked. What was she going to do? Class was about to start and she couldn’t just let them have recess all day. She told the principal’s wife, Mary about it. Mary came and tried all the keys she had; none worked. She said a small prayer asking for God’s help. Kristen needed to start class. Mary inserted the next key and barely turned it to find that the door opened wide. They both were so happy and Mary gave Kristen the key to use until she found her key.

Kristen tried the key later to see if it indeed worked before she locked up her classroom. The key would not turn the lock anymore. The key was the wrong one yet it had worked during that critical time when it was needed the most. Since then Kristen has found her key and all is well.

I want to stress that the key was not meant for that door. It was not some sort of master key or even a spare key. It was a random key for who knows what lock. Yet it worked that one time and Mary barely turned it when it opened. Normally you need to turn the key all the way around in order for it to unlock. The door opened and the key would not work again later. This may sound very simple and many may pass it off as some coincidence. I can’t make you believe if you don’t want to; but it happened nonetheless. Little miracles still happen and big ones can too. Praise God for his presence here.

On Monday school will start again. I want to start a prayer box. The students will be able to put their requests in it and I will look at them every morning and pray for the students. I hope this new thing will be a success and the students will put requests in. I also want to try another new idea. During worship before class I want to have them pray in groups of two or three rather than just having me pray before class. I want to start having the students participate in worship if they are open to it. I won’t force them to do anything but will try to encourage it.

I really want to focus on becoming closer to God as that will help me to reach the students better. Just because I’m teaching them science does not mean I can’t have an influence on them to help them find God. I’m not really sure how to do that but I want to so much.

1 comment:

  1. Your story about answered prayer brought
    tears to my eyes. Here I felt like a lot
    of my prayers were in vain, but now I know
    that God is answering each and every one;
    more than I always may know.
    Joyce K. Miller

    ReplyDelete