Thursday, October 29, 2009

Not a baby chicken falls without His concern



So, about two weeks ago I found a baby chicken that was lost from it’s mother. I was determined to raise it. I named it Alice. She was so cute and fuzzy; probably only a few days hatched. I had her about a week and she would follow me around and would not stop peeping! It was cute but I was honestly getting really fed up with her. I think it must have been comparable to having an infant. It was terrible! Never was there a moment when she would just be quite. Always she had to ‘peep peep peep’. Sometimes they were happy peeps like when she was eating but anytime she could not see that I was right next to her they would be obnoxious loud irritating peep! Peep! Peeps! Aaaaaaahhhh!!

So, I put her outside in the chicken pen which I though she could not get out of. She had grown enough that I was sure she couldn’t squeeze out but an hour later I noticed that she stopped peeping. (I could stand the peeping when she was outside because it was far away sounding) I looked outside and two roosters were next to the pen. I thought ‘great, she’s getting to see some of her own species’. Half and hour later she still wasn’t peeping so I went don’t to see what was going on. She was gone. I spent 2 hours looking for her in the jungle… No luck. I’m not sure if she got out though. I think I would have been able to find her by her scared peeps but I couldn’t hear any. Miss Mary thinks that a rat ate her because that had happened before. My poor Alice is gone. She was getting such beautiful wing feathers. She was precious. What a terrible mother I made for her. I miss her but think maybe it was a blessing in disguise because now I can actually think and get things done.

Last night I went outside for some fresh air and heard more some peeping which was weird because it was dark. I looked around and found a poor baby chicken stuck in some tar (there are a bunch of old leaky barrels of tar around the campus, it’s terrible…). I don’t think it was Alice but I’m pretty sure it was one of her sisters. I spent the next 2 hours cleaning her off and getting her warm and trying to get some liquids into her. She was improving but then she unpredictably died in my hand. I think she was just too exhausted. Poor thing. It’s sad. I still want a pet chicken.

"No bird falls from the sky without His concern." Matthew 10:29

1 comment:

  1. Katherine:
    You are such a sensative loving being, and that is why God put you where you are right now. Unfortunantly the circle of life comes around to those we love, even with animals. You did your best, and learned from this experience, but go forward. You are doing a fantastic job there in Yap, God Bless you and your kids you teach.

    ReplyDelete