Friday, November 6, 2009

Getting to know more students


This week I was really worried about Lesila. I don’t really know much about her. She’s very quiet and shy. She reminds me a little of myself when I was a freshman like her. I wish I could somehow get to know her but I have a hard time talking to my students when it’s not about school. I get all shy and can’t think of anything to say or ask. When they are also shy it feels kind of awkward.

I saw Lesila in the freshman classroom all alone on Thursday during lunch. She was just staring at the wall. Later when I walked by again she had her head down. I got really worried about her all of a sudden and was thinking there must be something very wrong. I didn’t talk to her though because I was afraid she wouldn’t tell me anything. I think I need to get to know her better before expecting her to confide in me. The next day I saw that she was smiling and was with some friends and I was very relieved. She even played some volleyball.

I think I need to pay attention to more of my students who are kind of just in the background. I wonder if there are any who are craving a relationship with someone like I did when I was in their shoes. I grabbed on to those relationships with teachers and cherished them. They meant the world to me and now I’m looking back on them more often in order to remember what they did so I can do the same.

2 comments:

  1. Katherine, you are a "riot!"....i've read the other two blogs too, but wanted to come back to this one to comment.
    Please, please, please.....the next time something like this happens, go with your gut instinct. This girl is your student, and you have every right to be concerned. That would have been a perfect opportunity for you to talk to her, when she was all alone in the classroom. The fact that this worried you should have been enough of a reason for you to "confront" her. In fact, I feel it is your responsiblity as her teacher. Just as it is "my responsibility" right now to tell you how I am feeling about what you just said. Do you know how many opportunities go by because of people 2nd guessing and doubting themselves?
    People enjoy getting attention (usually), and especially students who feel alone. Next time ask yourself what is the worst that could happen if you did what you really wanted to do (talk to this "poor, shy, quiet" girl) who would probably have loved to be able to talk to you about something, or would have at least known that you are there for her....
    Thanks for sharing.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea..what Judy said. I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete