Saturday, November 7, 2009

It's ok to turn down a position when it's too much


The high-school has a Students Association or ‘SA’ which is an elected group of students that organize events and are leaders in the school. The principle asked the members to chose a sponsor to oversee them and he informed me on Friday that they had chosen me. My first reaction was ‘What? No, why was I not asked if I was willing to do this?’ I asked Principal if it was ok to be SA sponsor and also High-school administrator. He said ‘There’s no problem with that’. I wanted to complain so much but I just left.

The next day I was talking with Anna about planning AY. I was super stressed out and then it all came out. I didn’t want to be the sponsor, I couldn’t do it. It was too much. It’s not fair that there are four high-school teachers but only one is delegated to do everything. So she helped me realize that I don’t have to accept the position. I can decline the nomination. I am so relieved. They will have to choose someone else as I have enough to worry about already.

I didn’t complain at first because I thought, ‘I’m here to serve, I’ll just do it.’ But if we have so much on our shoulders that we can’t do what we have in a good way, then how are we really being of service? So tonight I will tell him that I can’t do it and it will be ok.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Katherine,
    I just dropped a class because it would have been my third time taking it, just for fun. Now I will have time to read new things and get caught up on old projects. It's like the old proverb: When one door closes, another one opens up. Perhaps now you will be an even better administrator!
    Love,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's OK to just say NO...you shouldn't feel guilty about it. Infact, they probably chose you BECAUSE you never complain and just say yes to everything. Speak up Katherine, no one really knows what you are feeling unless you speak up.

    ReplyDelete