Thursday, September 10, 2009

It all makes sense now...

So, I think that if I decide to teach when I come back to the states I will be spoiled because I know that the students there care a lot more about grades than they do here. I have figured out why that is so. This school is the only one on the island that will not pass students to the next grade when they have an F. I was astonished when I heard this. The majority of the students come from the other schools on the island and are used to being passed on whether they do well or not. Who cares about grades if that is the way things are done? What point is school then but to babysit children and call it education? That is why this is the best school on the island.


So anyway, I came up with a solution for my seniors and juniors who are not studying for their tests: No more P.E. or free time for three weeks or even longer depending on if they get their grades up. During P.E. we will have class. They were disappointed when I told them but they are paying a lot more attention now which is very good to see.


These kids aren't used to having any real goals to work towards because they get the prize no matter what. They could go to the public school and graduate without lifting a pencil. Also, one of the SM's what telling me that she heard that the college on the island did a test with the students there and the average IQ is that of a 3rd grader!!??! What?! How is this possible? They are smart, no doubt, but they have never learned how to discipline their minds in the way that a formal education does. This knowledge has encouraged me because I realize the reason for how they are performing the way they do and has helped me think of ways to help them.


About the comments to work with them more individually; I offer all the time and nobody takes me up on the offer for outside help. They simply don't care. Many do care more than the others and will ask some questions but no one has come for extended help. The ones that come are the ones that are already doing well.


So, I don't think I need to be that terribly discouraged by their results. They are just showing me how very much they need a good teacher. They are in serious need of some study skills and someone to show them that in life you have to strive to do your best or you won't make it, and also that they are actually capable of doing very well.


About the teacher from germany; Thank God things have worked out. She still needs to leave the island but does not have to do so until November and when she leaves she can take the next flight right back in instead of waiting a month! We are all so happy!

1 comment:

  1. Katherine,

    Welcome to teaching. Many public schools in the U.S. are no better than there. What you describe is exactly the way it is here. Some people here graduate from high school here and they can't even speak English. School is taught in English, so how does that happen? Over half in this area drop out before finishing. They start families early, and go to work as a mechanic or laborer or something. The government gives them food stamps and medicaid. You've been in private school all your life, so you really don't know about public school.

    The goal of school is to give people opportunity. It is up to them to take advantage of it. If you can motivate them to do so when they are not motivated, then I would say you are a good teacher. If there is little opportunity for people out there, then why should they learn things when they can go fish?

    Your method of discipline is on the leadership continuum. Forming, storming, norming and performing. You take them down to a basic level, like boot camp. Next, some are going to rebel. You've seen that already, and now you're taking those students back down to the forming stage. Eventually they may decide to turn around and try harder. They may work together better (norming). If they see the light, they will then really perform.

    Good luck. Life time teachers may eventually focus more on those who want to learn, since their efforts are more readily acknowledged. You are only there for one year, so it is not bad to try to motivate everyone. You'll get a good workout. I do hope you succeed.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete