Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sent to the Principal






I finally got up the guts to send some boys to the office. They talk and snicker in class every day. I dread teaching Chemistry class every day because of those boys. It's the last class before lunch so by that time I'm tired anyway.

So, I spoke to them in class and then they still would not pay attention so I finally kept them after class and explained to them again why they should not be talking in class. I even told them that I did not enjoy teaching that class because of them. I also said that I wanted to like it because I could see that the Junior class in itself was fun. I took them to the office and the principal spoke with them. Apparently, they had been sent to the office many times in the previous year so they were given a warning and the next time it will be a straight five day suspension. Principal almost suspended 3 days starting now, but decided not to. I was surprised that he was so harsh but I hope things are different now.

It's such a good feeling to have finally followed through with it. It wasn't that bad and I don't think they hold it against me. The seem to want to be good underneath it all. I think perhaps I should make a new seating chart so it's easier for them to not talk. Their names are Josh, Drexler, and Raphael in the order pictured from top to bottom.

3 comments:

  1. Katherine,
    I am glad you did the right thing finally.
    I think that changing the seating chart is
    the right thing to do also. They may not
    realize it, but once they are separated and
    can listen, they will probably be thankful
    to you for doing it. It's hard to do what's
    right sometimes (the boys not talking) when
    you are in a group with friends. It's a kind
    of peer pressure. I hope you separate them
    soon and that they enjoy your class more
    because of it.
    Joyce K. Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine!
    First, I want to apologize to you that my responses will not be laden with references to Jesus and God, as I was not raised the same as you and I have different feelings about all of it, and I know you aren't even looking for an apology but I wanted to say something because most of your comments are laced with "God" references and my comments will not be and that is the reason why.
    Anyway,
    I wanted to comment a bit about your position of authority. I find it very interesting, and I remember very well being in your shoes and I know many people who are also in your shoes as far as not wanting to follow through on something when it concerns telling other people what to do, and wanting to just sort of mind your own business. Many people are taught to do that and they become very comfortable turning the other cheek.
    My advice is this.... :)
    Once you start to actually believe in yourself, and what you believe to be right and wrong, you won't feel so sad next time you have to send someone to the office for something. I noticed how you said you were sad to send him to the office, yet in the very next sentence you started explaining how terrible this beetle stuff is for a person. The key is to stick to the end result. I would be proud if I had sent him to the office because at least there is someone who actually cares enough to do that. Most people would (as they have been taught), just turn the other cheek. So much easier too.
    There is a big difference between bossing people around because you have a superiority complex, versus guiding people in the right direction. Also, teenage boys are notorious for doing things- partly to get attention and also because they are still maturing. You are there as a guide to help them on their journey.
    The key is believing in yourself and knowing you are doing the right thing. Self-confidence rubs off.
    Hope this helps a little bit!
    Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Judy, You do not have to lace your comments with God if you do not wish to do so. I'd rather that you're comments came from you in the way that is most honest and truthful. I would however like to know what your feelings are on all of it as you say. If you would like to tell me please send me an email. I think you're right about things getting better as I gain more confidence in my self. It's partially hard to send someone to the office because it acknowledges that I know better when I'm not always sure that I do. The biggest reason that I was sad to send him to the office though is because I was sad that he had had the betel nut in the first place because I know it's not going to do anything good for him. Just in the same way as a parent is sad to spank their child when they find out they lied or something else. It's needed nonetheless to show them that their actions are wrong, but it's sad that they did it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete