Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Starting a three week vacation?

So, it's been a while since I've written. We've just finished day 3 of our three week forced vacation. We now have at least three weeks to just do what ever we feel like. It's nice but at the same time it's not because we didn't come here for a vacation.


The first day we were all really bored because we had nothing to do but it's kind of nice now. I can catch up on my reading and I can work on the garden that I want to have and I can just do nothing for once while being here. In the last week or so I've really settled into life here. I don't feel homesick quite so much anymore and am quite happy. It started at the beginning of last week.


Last week I gave the Juniors their test and they were all trying so hard and I knew they wanted to do well. They have really come a long way. Taking away P.E. worked like a charm. They ask questions now and try really hard and it's turned into genuine caring about what we're learning about. While I was watching them take their test I couldn't help but smile. They did improve on that test but they still need some work. I just like to see them but their best into it though.


This three weeks is going to be interesting. I already miss the students. Part of me is like, 'What now? Here we are with all this free time when we're supposed to be role models for the students. But there are none now. I really want to get super organized and ahead on my lesson planning. I an finally breathe now.


Now that the other teachers are here there are more fun times. The new guys are always up to something. I love the other girls I live with so much. It's going to be so hard to leave in June.


The last week we've had nothing but rain. Lots of tropical depressions are going by. But nothing serious has hit us so far. The rain makes it less hot which is nice, but it's starting to get a little old.


Sometimes I wonder about what I am doing here when I could be doing the very same thing in the states. But many of these students don't have good role models and their teachers mean the world to them. We are here to show them that they can do what they set their minds to, that trying their best is important. It's important to tell them about God but sometimes it is easier to show them God by the way we interact with them. It is my hope and prayer that I am doing that.


I look forward to when school starts again. It could be the 19th of October but could be another week after that.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Katherine,
    there may be somewhere that you could teach
    in the states, but I think you would need to get
    some certifications or complete a degree in
    education before you could really work. I
    do think there may be cases where you could
    get hired like at a church school, if they
    weren't worried about that, but if you left
    one job, it might be hard to find one
    somewhere else without getting more education.
    It's good to hear about the people and weather
    there too.
    Joyce K. Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine
    where or what do the students go on this 3 week vacation? It is such a small island,

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not a boarding school so the students leave everyday. They stay at their house or where with family.

    ReplyDelete