Thursday, August 20, 2009

After three days of teacing 8/20/09

First of all, they weren’t joking when they said that when you teach you learn the most. I know the scientific method on the back of my hand. The hard part about it though was when I started the idea of forming a hypothesis what a little shady and I had o figure it out before I could teach it. I made a week of lesson plans on Sunday and then when Monday came I realized that I didn’t plan enough!! 50 minutes is a long time and when I had finished going over the syllabus I had 20 students just waiting to see what I was going to do next. I pulled through and ended up asking them what their favorite animals were since it was biology. We all understood that it was kind of lame, but with each animal I was able to come up with a story from my experience and they thought it was fun and they laughed several times.

Monday: my eyes were opened and I became super stressed out because I had to make better lesson plans. I started at 3 and ended at 11:30 when I could finally crawl into bed.

Tue: Up and 5:30, This day was better I lasted most of the class period and was able to draw more stuff from the book to finish in the classes. Lesson plans took until 11:00 this day. I had physics make paper towers and compete to see who could make the tallest from one sheet of paper.

Wed: This day was better too. I can do this… I had two labs. A microscope lab with bio and a density measuring lab with chem. They like labs. I had to be tough on procedure and rules on the chem class. I was afraid they thought maybe I was mean. But after lab Rodney, one of the students that I thought might be a problem student said that it was a cool lab. What a great thing for a teacher to hear!!! They liked it! In Bio I had them look at different slides and some puddle water under the microscope. The water had little micro organisms and they were all amazed. Wednesday night I finished lesson plans at 8:00. Praise God, I was able to go to sleep at 9:45. Yes…

Today is Thursday and I think it will go pretty good. It will be challenging again. Teaching is exhausting. This is probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done, mentally. Thankfully the Physics class is very mature. They are seniors and I don’t think there will be any problems. Juniors are the ones I need to keep an eye on but I think they know I mean business now. Sophomores are similar but not quite as much. Freshmen are so cute. Haha. They are so young and seem to soak up what I say, or at least they try. Poor little Elain though , doesn’t seem to be getting it… her paper s never make sense. Sabbath is almost here… rest is coming.

3 comments:

  1. YES... my prayers are working!
    Congratulations Katherine! You are doing great!
    I'm imagining you as a teacher somewhere in the
    states in the future, after you finish school.
    This seems so perfect. I hope everything continues
    to go better and better, as it seems to be. The
    food sounds lushious. Write back when you can.
    Love,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow katherine! this sounds so hard... but you sound like you're a natural! i'm so glad its going so well. :) how did you learn how to do all this teaching????
    you're amazing, katherine, simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, well, I went to several lectures and watched some videos and read part of a book. And I'm trying to remember what my teachers did. It's a learning project in the process. haha.

    ReplyDelete