Saturday, August 29, 2009

Music class and Catastrophe

So, I found my flip flops that I don’t wear to have molded over the top of them. If that isn’t an appalling sight, I don’t know what is. Also, the metal mesh part that covers the speakers on my computer has begun to rust!!! I hope it lasts the whole time I’m here.

Yesterday I had my first music class. I’m supposed to teach music to the Freshmen and Sophomores. It only meets once a week on Fridays so I’m not sure how much we will learn but then again I don’t know that terribly much so maybe that’s ok. It’s a group of 40 and first and tried to get them to figure out which part they are as in a bass, tenor, alto or soprano. Most of them didn’t know what 4 part harmony was , so I explained it and had them squeak out a chord together. It was marvelous!! I’m so excited. We have a lot of work but I want to get them to a point where it sounds like a real choir. I need some songs that we can learn though and I can’t find any familiar ones online for free. They are all really hard. If all else fails I’ll use a hymnal because most hymns give all four parts. So all I have is a keyboard but it will work just fine. I have no idea how to conduct but they won’t know that. Next week I’m going to introduce some notes and try to have them learn the treble cleft. Then will be the Bass cleft and then time signatures. If any one out there has anything I could use to help in teaching music, by all means please tell me!

So as we were finishing class, Norma (sophomore) was playing for us while we sang some praise songs. She happened to be leaning on her chair and it slipped out from behind her. After landing she just sat there motionless. Blood began dripping from her face. I quickly pulled the chair out from behind her, picked her up and began leading her to the office. I yelled for someone to get some toilet paper. I could tell she was weak in the knees with pain.

What had happened was the edge of the table had scraped her face as she fell to the floor. In the office we were able to see that her gums were bleeding and some cartilage in her nose was also affected. Thankfully nothing was broken. I made all the students gathering around leave. She was going to be fine but all the people around would not help. We got her cleaned up and then let her recover. Riley was a great help. He stepped up and made sure she had everything she needed. By the end of the day she was smiling again but I’m sure very sore.

3 comments:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

    I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

    Mostly it is a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

    Sincerely,
    Jesse Noe

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my blog inspires you I hope it may somehow lead you closer to our Savior Christ. I don't mind if you follow my blog but I'd be a little uncomfortable becoming your friend as I know nothing about you. Blessings and prayers to you.

    katherinejustine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine,

    Thanks for all the wonderful photos. Your classroom looks so clean and tidy. Don't focus too much on feeling homesick. Years from now you will look back on this experience and be very grateful you didn't waste your precious time and energy on negative thoughts and pursuits. I think once you start running again and get some endorphins flowing it will help a lot.

    Uncle Bruce

    ReplyDelete