Friday, August 7, 2009

Arrival in Yap

So when we flew in there were about a hundred people gathered around to see who came off the plane. After going through the small customs booth the Yapese girl put a lei type thing around my neck but it was not like a necklace. It was more in the style of graduation cords. It was braded leaves with flowers along it; very beautiful. Then teh principal's wife gave each of us a head wreeth made of the same sort of thing. The Yapese girl was in the traditional dress with the large grass skirt and a grass decoration around the neck. We were introduced to several people and I even got to meet a futre student. He seemed happy to meet me which is a good sign. When he smiled I could see the red staining in his teeth from the beetle nut which his common here. It is in some ways similar to chewing tobacco. I hope I don't have many issues with that during class. I need to come up with a way of discouraging it's use in class.

We then got into this reckety old van and drove on a pot hole covered road to the school. That was the longest 7 kilometers ever! I thought it would never end. At the school us 5 girls moved into our apartment and chose rooms. I am in the green room with Kirsten. I made curtains out of the airplane blankets. It looks very homey. One more girl will be coming later. Since we came in at night it was hard to really get a good look at things. Tere were a lot of stray dogs runing around.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Katherine,
    Happy Sabbath. The little girl on
    your arrival blog reminds me of a
    childhood picture of myself. I'm
    so glad God is using you and I feel
    like he's using me too at times.
    I will continue to pray for your
    courage and determination to
    permiate forward as you accomplish
    your goals and the goals God puts
    in your path.
    Love,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katherine,

    It sounds like your already having quite the experince! I know your going to enjoy every minute there and your going to make such a huge impact on many people. I will continue to pray for you and I think about you often!

    Your Friend,
    Sarah B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine:

    God's blessings that you and all arrived safely.
    I know you will be a blessing to everyone there. You are human and will do things that will probably make you embaressed or seem so silly, but take heart, God has a sense of humor and will smile and make your mistakes or embaressements and turn them around into blessings.

    Please let me know if you need anything, prayer is what I can give you right now, but I am here as well as your church family.

    Peace be with you:
    Margaret Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the little tips and such. I know I'll probably feel silly many times but I enjoy looking back and laughing at the past. So far things are going well.
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete