Friday, August 14, 2009

Temporary pet gecko, Roach Homicide, Infant Garden and Laboratory



Tonight I managed to catch a gecko. He's pretty cute. Geckos are the lizards that can walk up walls and such. One of them leaped past me when I opened a door yesterday. It was quite alarming and I was surprised that he would aim in my direction. I have him in an ice-cream tub with plastic over the top with holes poked for air. There are grass and leaves in the tub. I felt kind of bad actually, so I let him go. It feel so cool on your hand because their little hands are sticky. The eyes are also very captivating to look at.

I discovered a way to kill cockroaches. If I squirt rubbing alcohol at them they dehydrate from the outside in through their exoskeleton. Then they die. It's very morbid. I think perhaps squashing them is a better alternative but this way seems cleaner. Three of us girls were squealing as we watched the insect squirm and then die. Olivia wants to catch on now and keep it as a pet, haha. Not that bad of an idea actually. Perhaps I will too.

I started some of my seeds in potting soil today. I'm super excited to see them sprout. The principal said that he will show us a place that we can cultivate some soil for them later.

Today I began organizing the Lab room. Was that ever fun!! I kept finding so many goodies! I came upon some boxes and after opening one I exclaimed, "ringstands!!", and joyfully put them together. Next was, "test tube racks!!", and then "Physics motion and friction kits!!!". All new stuff that I get to play with and figure out how to teach with. Labs are going to be so much fun. I set up some Lab tables and put glassware and such away in the drawers with 2 stations per table.

I just about finished writing my syllabi and I think it will be a good year. I've got some class management procedures and I plan to be strict but also joyful. I plan on smiling a lot. I can't wait... :)

Tonight we went to a Friday night vespers service. We did song service and then listed to the division president speak. He spoke about how there is a spot near Orion’s belt where light is coming from. Scientist cannot explain the brightness of that light. Many believe that it is the gate of heaven. I can’t wait to see Jesus coming in the sky. The wonder to catch his gaze and feel that blessed recognition. I think I will cry with happiness…

6 comments:

  1. Katherine:
    I look forward to reading your blogs eachday! they are so exciting and it feels as if I am actually there with you.

    I'm glad things are coming together for you. And please again is there anything we might be able to send you, pencils, paper, notebooks, backpacks, etc.. just to help with the school year that is coming?

    Love the gecko, but remember, cockroaches carry many germs, and they can get very large, the hissing ones are the ugliest. Geckos are great pets, but they deserve to live in their own free way too. they eat cockroaches ( I think).

    Have a great week, and look forward to reading about your activities again!
    God Bless
    Margaret Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable little critter!! Can't wait to hear about the plants too.
    LOVE Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine,
    I just got caught up on your posts, and I am fascinated reading about all of your adventures. I love that your posts involve the tiny little daily discoveries (how delicious coconut milk is, how refreshing a cold shower can be in such a muggy climate, how interesting it is to be eye to eye with a gecko...). Those little mysteries and revelations are what make this trip such a beautiful and spiritual adventure. I must say that reading your entries makes me realize what a lovely teacher you are going to be. Your inquisitive nature, your sensitivity to beauty and your unbridled sense of adventure are going to carry over into your teaching. Your students will absolutely adore you. We anxiously await more news of your stay. Just wanted to send a bit of love and encouragement from oh so far away. Love, your cousin Betsy (in Indiana)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cool to hear that people are reading. I try to put pictures as often as I can because it makes it more real to the reader. So far the students like me. I'll post more about them in a little while when things calm down a bit. Thanks for the encouragement!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can totally hear you yelling as you open the boxes of lab stuff. lol. miss ya, katherine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahah, so excited over lab supplies...you're such a nerd katherine :p oh well, i love that nerd!! miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete