Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cockroaches, Humidity and a Cock-a-doodle-doo 8/7/09



The first cockroach was not that big. It was a relief because I had conjectured these gigantic monster cockroaches in my imagination. The second one was bigger but honestly they’re not that ugly. I think they’re kind of beautiful actually. The wings are a dark mahogany brown and are nice and smooth. Their heads are a pretty caramel color. The antennas are very long but are rather cute when they move around. The legs are very bristly which is a little creepy and the way they scuttle about is sort of charming in a way but only when they’re not headed towards me.

Oh my word! It is hot here yes, but the air is so thick! It’s very humid. Last night I slept without any covers of any kind. Jet lag is pretty rough. I woke up several times during the night and had a hard time falling back asleep but am not quite sure if that was because of the jet lag or just the excitement running through my mind.

In the morning I woke up at 5 and could not fall back asleep. I wandered into the kitchen and tried some of the tiny bananas that the principal had provided for us. They’re so good! Nice and sweet but not mushy, almost chewy in a way. I like these bananas. They’re about 6 inches long, nice and fat and easy to peel. When I went back to my bed it was starting to get lighter out and a rooster began crowing. It’s all kind of charming. Now the next big thing is to unpack…

No comments:

Post a Comment