Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Walk 8/8/09


We went for a walk today and saw ‘Yap Canyon’. It was really cool because there were these canyon like things but they were made out of red dirt rather than rock. You could see the ocean on three sides of which was a reminder of how small the island really is. We sang a few songs, had a short worship and then walked back.

There are a lot of stray dogs on the island. The two that live by the school are Bolgas and Jack. There is a little cat named ‘kitty’ or ‘ginger’ and he likes to bite. It’s all in good fun to him but it usually hurts! There are so many coconut trees here; lots of cool flowers too. I saw some wild orchids and also some pitcher plants that collect insects inside them.

Principal Fonseka showed us how to cut open coconuts with a machete and we drank the water and tried the young coconut meat. You can spoon it out like custard when it is young enough. I hope to makes smoothies with it sometime. We collected a bunch of the water in a pitcher and are going to have it for breakfast tomorrow. It should be nice chilled.

Despite all the humidity, my skin looks really healthy. I will never need lotion here. And I think I’ve nearly conquered my chapstick addiction. I’m hoping all the sweating will purge my pores clean instead of causing them to break out. Time will tell.

For supper we had rice and lentils and started a loaf of bread in the bread machine. We have a rice cooker but it doesn’t work. I cut up a papaya for tomorrow. It’s so pretty to cut. I love the bright coral pink color. I finally finished unpacking. Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment