Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hawaii Orientation






This place is really beautiful. I spent Sabbath in LA with a nice family and then flew to Hawaii on Sunday. It was really cool to meet all the future SMs. We went to Waikiki which is the famous beach here. It was actually quite small but the water was great. I've met a lot of really great new friends. We all met here to be taught how to teach in 2 days. There were some really helpful videos and now my ideas are so ambitious I hope that I can do them. I got a better idea on how to manage my classroom. This blog is not very thought out as I still have to get ready for the flight to Yap today. today is the 5th of August and we are going to be flying over the international dateline. When I get to Yap it will be 9pm on the 6th I think. The 6th is my birthday and I will have completely lost most of it into the abyss of.... somewhere? haha. It's kind of funny actually. While in LA the pastor found out who I was and where I was going and had me come up and tell a little about it. That church was very supportive and said that if I need anything, I should contact them and I will have it. Everyone keeps telling me that this experience is going to change my life. I've probably heard it at least 40 times in the last couple months. How much will it change? I kind of like my life. I am in aww at the thought of how it might change. The important thing is to embrace it I think, for God is in control. I look forward to telling about the experience I will have. I've realized that I feel less freaked out if I make myself not think about the year as a whole and as just a day at a time. It's not that bad, just one breath after another and I'll still be breathing at the end. God is good, and I can't let my insecureties get in the way of what he want's to do. I just need to be open and forget about being nervous. Above are some pictures of Hawaii. 1st is Waikiki, 2nd is an amazing view of the mountains, 3rd is on a jungle hike to a waterfall and 4th is the sunrise this morning at the SDA school here.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine,
    I'm wondering if you get a chance to read these comments. Maybe, but you will probably be pretty busy, like you said. Anyway, first want to say "Happy Birthday"! , where ever you are (pretty close to YAP, if not already there). Secondly, I agree, this whole thing will change your life, but at your age, pretty much everything does. Actually, it will just change the way you view things...ya, that's what everyone means. Because you will get a whole new perspective on life. It was great to read your "first" blog. I'm so excited for you and really look forward to your updates, as it is like reading a book to me, only it is really happening!
    Don't worry, all my comments won't be this long...!
    Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I do get to read these comments. Is the 'first' blog the super long one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, by "first" blog, I meant this one, because you had actually started the trip and were in LA...that's what I meant by "first"...

    ReplyDelete