Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Humidity... and also some other stuff 8/8/09

I have more to say about the humidity. It is absolutely ridiculous!!! I feel as though I am in a hot bathtub all the time but have some remarkable ability to breath. I must have sprouted gills or something. I am constantly coated in a layer of sludge. At night when I finally peel off my clothing I have no complaints about the shower not having hot water. The cool stream is entirely inviting. Again I shower when I wake up and feel clean for about 15 minutes at the most. In church on Sabbath I didn’t drink enough water and felt faint and dizzy. It’s hard to believe how much water is lost through continual sweating. I felt better after another half jug of water and realize more now of how I need to be taking in. Will my body get used to this? I severely hope so…

Besides the humidity, we saw a gecko on the wall last night. He was huge! Definitely 8 inches long. He scrambled across the walls and into the kitchen cupboard. I wanted a picture of him but he was too fast. When I opened the door of the cupboard I saw his head tilted towards mine in a quizzical look, his beady eyes met my gaze for a short moment and then he scampered down onto the counter and jumped to the floor as us five girls gave out a simultaneous shriek. I’m glad they’re here and I hope they eat the cockroaches. He ended up hiding among the pots and pans below the countertop.

Earlier on Friday the Principals wife Mary cut open each of us a green coconut with a machete and gave us a straw to drink the cool coconut water. My word! It was so delicious and refreshing… I like coconut water.

1 comment:

  1. Kind of ironic about the humidity...we got walloped with the same thing (well sort of) on the eighth also. For Wisconsin, it was VERY humid...I even left my little A/C on while I went to work, which worked quite well. Sunday was the worst, with Saturday afternoon and Monday a little better. I don't think it was as bad as at YAP, but I could relate a little bit...I think after the beautiful July weather we had here, it might be particularily harder to adapt to the heat over there.
    Keep drinking water is my advice!
    L, Judy

    ReplyDelete