Friday, August 21, 2009

These kids 8/21/09

These kids are all very bright. I can tell that most of them want to grasp concepts but some of them don’t want to do work. They want to play. To be completely honest, they are just like high-schoolers in the states. I love them already.
I know 30 by name already. Rodney and Riley are identical twins but one is a sophomore and one is a junior. I thought I might have problems with them at first because they tried tricking us because they look so alike but they both seem to want to learn and have done well so far. I think they just like to have fun. Then there is Dukay, Ronald, Zandra, JJ, Renz, Jerrick, Falmog, Hannah, Filly, Crystal and Elaine who stuck out to me right away as gems. even though all are precious I think there will always be a few that make you feel that way. Febe, Jimmy, Troy, Melissa, Cory, Abraham, Joyce, Lesila, Chris, Resa, Rachel, Jon Liezel, Leyah, Johannah, Norma, and Merlin. I have a total of about 60. Maybe 59, or 61.

The Seniors are all pretty serious about learning and I’m thankful for that. There are 9 of them. There are 13 Juniors and they seem like I will have to work extra hard to them to grasp chemistry but they are such a fun group! Sophomores total 21 and they are in my homeroom class. They seem bright too, but will need some discipline here or there. They seem excited about Biology this year. The freshmen seem very little. They seem to soak up everything I say yet I think I’ll need to work hard with them too as many are having a hard time with some things so far. In health class today (which meets once a week) they were so interested in what I was saying. I talked about how breakfast is super important and snacking disturbs the digestive cycle. I think they were so engrossed because half of them don’t eat breakfast and I know everyone snacks at least occasionally. They asked me if I snacked and if I ate meat and they were so intent on my answers.

I can already pick out the lazy ones, but they have such personalities. There are many that I know will go beyond when it comes to studying. Their just like teen-agers anywhere. Resa gave me a hug today and said I was the best when we decided to have free time instead of class today. It was the first one I got and it was really nice. They all seem to really like me, but they also know I mean business. When people say the teachers don’t get paid enough, I can now with experience say, it is true!! They should be paid as much as doctors!!! They have to do so much work!!! But it’s cool. This week was exhausting.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine,

    I finally got to your blog today after my return from vacation, and from now on I'll be checking more frequently. I know you are busy, but thanks for keeping up with your blog so we can all know what you are doing.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I can start praying for Joyce, the student who has my name. I will pray for all your students. At
    least they can't smoke there. I don't think beetle
    nut is as bad as smoking. Correct me if I'm wrong
    about them not being able to smoke there.
    Love,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. The students can't smoke but there is a lot of smoking and drinking and betalnut chewing on the island. The chewing is just as bad as smoking. It causes a buzz and is addicting. People are not completely in their normal minds while chewing. Kind of in a daze. It causes the teeth to be stained red and causes mouth cancer.

    Its good to hear that people enjoy the posts. It makes me happy to here people want to know what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, we really enjoy reading about your experiences. It's amazing to me that you can remember all those names! Is it possible to send pictures of the classroom or students? (I understand it may not be allowed or maybe you're not comfortable doing that yet)

    Love,
    Uncle Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can post some pictures. However, The internet here is very fickle. We have wireless and that is when I can upload but it has been out for 4 days now. I've been using dial up and I don't want to upload pictures on it because it takes so long. When the wireless gets fixed (hopefully on monday) I'll upload some pictures of my kids. I took a picture of each person that came to class the first day. I'm getting better at names but I think they are getting sick of me asking them to remind me over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Juniors were my kids. :) They were a really fun bunch...crazy, but fun :)

    ReplyDelete