Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cleaning and Rain Showers 8/10/09

Kirsten and I went and gathered some Taro in the woods today. When the internet kicks up again we’re going to look up how to cook it.

I cleaned out my classroom today. It’s really big! I swept it and cleaned the floors and wiped down all the windows. The windows are like glass blinds that can be opened or shut except they are stuck open. As I was wiping them down it started to down pour and was a help in the process. I got soaking wet in the process but I’m not complaining. Then I arranged the desks and took out the trash. Tomorrow I will put up posters and clean the science lab room.

Each hour that went by added to the bonding process of me and my classroom. At the end it felt really nice to sit at my teachers table in the corner and gaze upon it all. I spent a little time looking through some papers that were left in the room from last year and it seeped to re-spark my excitement for this year. Some of my students came by and looked at what I was doing. If I could rewind I would have acted differently. I didn’t say much to them, but just smiled, said I was the science teacher and asked them what class they were in. I wish I would have introduced myself. I only asked one of them what his name was and I can’t even remember what it was. I don’t know what I want them to call me yet. Miss Katherine? Or Miss Miller?

Even though most of the boys were Juniors, they looked so young to me. It surprised me as I thought they might not even be in high-school. Were my classmates and I that small when we were in high-school? I think they will probably have a growth spurt pretty soon.

I thank God for the rain today. It was not nearly as humid and sweaty as usual. It sounds so nice and makes it cool and refreshing. The rain on the metal roof is a nice sound; kind of lulling.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Katherine!!!The other day we had 85 degree/90%humidity weather!
    I wondered if you sent it to us:) Sure made me think of you more!!! It's 630 a.m. Tuesday so it is 930pm on Monday for you????? When does school start? Where do those poster come from? Did you take all the photos in your blog? I am soooo proud of you! I tell anyone who listens about your adventure! love janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think miss katherine sounds nicer! (not too old jaja)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That weather sounds just like here :). Actually we are always a day ahead of you. We're just about on the leading edge of the international date line.

    I like the way Miss Katherine sounds better but I think Miss Miller may be better with the students. I'll maybe get more respect...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your writing, it sounds like you are right here next to me telling me about everything. I'm so glad you arrived safe and happy... Miss you--with love,kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine,

    I am in London, UK on the other side othe world and will be here until tomorrow when I will fly home ot Denver. With Katy and family. Keep up the blog. It's very interesting. More later.

    Uncle Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, Janice, yes I did take the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete